Friday, July 9, 2010

Studio in the city!

The studio.
Some ink and other supplies.
The studio.

Kathy's Library.

One of the plates I was working on.

Images of the studio in NYC.

This week with Kathy, I prepared zinc plates for printing. The artist that belonged to these plates is Marshall Arisman. Marshall is very worldly, he has written a few books, he is an illustrator, painter, and writer. He is very graphic and is currently making images of war. The titles of the two series are Primordial Light, and the second is Ayhavasca series. The Primordial Light is about children strapped with bombs going to war. The Ayhavasa is about humans transforming into animals. There are eight plates; this project is going to be an addition of 160. In preparing these plates Kathy taught me some useful techniques that I will use in the future the next time I have an etching project.

I was also able to explore the library she has created in the studio and do some research on other techniques. The one that I am most interested in right now is soft ground etching. It is a hard ground mixed with a specific wax and you can press objects into it to create an image. I was also able to research the history of etching and how printmaking moved from adds to art

No comments:

Post a Comment