Monday, July 19, 2010

Lizzy in da Cityyy!!!




Hello All!  I'm so glad everyone is having a fantastic summer with such great new and exciting experiences! In the beginning of this summer I interned for Valerie Hegarty.            

Valerie Hegarty's work revolves around the concept of revitalizing or giving new life to masterpiece paintings.  Her inspirations come from Abstract Expressionist artist such as Rothko and Still. She sheds new light on these recognizable works by putting her own contemporary spin on them.  She uses materials such as foam core and wood glue for paper mache to make depictions of landscapes into warped physical forms, often large scale sculptures that hang on walls or stand freely.  Basically she regenerates the works of Abstract Expressionists by metamorphosing them into “sculptural paintings” by deteriorating and decomposing them.  Valerie paints and burns some of her pieces to look like they have been subjected to natural disasters.  This allows them to have their own life-like experiences.  By weathering, tearing and molding her pieces she is able to breathe new life in to them.  She seems to enjoy toying with the interaction between nature and painting.  Her work is not just inspired by nature but becomes intertwined with it. 

          She has work up in the High Line Park in Chelsea.  The park was once an elevated train rail which was turned into an aerial greenway.  Her piece looks like an old ripped deteriorated canvas with the fame morphing into long stemy flowery branches.  It's so cool and I am really proud to say that I worked for such a talented and successful artist.  The reason why that is in past tense in because Valerie has a lot of work to do in Portugal, and although I was a fabulous intern for the short time that we spent together alas I could not go with her.  She is part of an international group show.  

          As of now I will reflect back on the time I spent with Valerie, watching her technique, listening to her artistic journey, eating Thai, Mexican and veggie sandwiches, many trips to Pearl Paint, True Value, even Lowes!, (one of Rebecca's favorite places), and her really cool hip shared artistic studio above a neon light factory where only true hipsters were allowed to work ( I loved watching them on their countless cigarette breaks.)  Right now I am interning with Rush Philanthropic Arts Foundation, founded by the Simmons Brothers, "Rev Run, Russell, and Danny.  Danny is the more artistic one.  So basically I work for Russell Simmons hehe! The organization was founded to expose disadvantaged urban kids to the many splendors of art, creation, admiration, and education.  Valerie worked for them as a visiting artist and recommended that I look into working for them.  The kids are awesome, so funny and so talented!  The first time I met them we where in a park doing field sketches of the Old Stone House, a historic landmark in Brooklyn.  The park was the same park I used to go and drink my coffee and eat my breakfast before I went in and worked for Valerie.  Her studio was a block away! What are the odds, It was meant to be! 

          One of the best things about both internships in the location!  Both are located in downtown Brooklyn, Valerie's Studio in Park Slope and the Corridor Gallery, where the kids meet and create art is in Clinton Hill.  I Love Brooklyn! I love walking around I love feeling like I belong to such a trendy place, I love all the natural food stores, all the people, all the clothing boutiques, coffee shops, fuggetaboutittt! Both internships have made me feel more like a New Yorker! I have gotten to know the area and the surrounding areas way better.  I am way more confident on the subway.  I would always have to navigate my way around Brooklyn and lower Manhattan for Valerie for crazy art supplies and I meet the kids at random places when they go on field trips.  Next week we are going to Coney Island to see circus blahhh, but we are meeting the woman who does most of the art for Coney Island, including the famous freak show displays and displays yayy!

No comments:

Post a Comment