Monday, June 28, 2010

In this first week I have already learned so much about silkscreen printing and how versatile it can be. Silkscreen has the ability to imitate all types of art from painting to drawing and collaging. Lou likes to challenge himself by collaborating with other artists. Basically artists bring him their own work (paintings etc) and Lou replicates it in silkscreen print. It’s so mesmerizing to study his prints just to try and figure out how it was put together, how many layers and colors there are. He spends so much time putting such intricate detail, which is all done with stencils (he has carpal tunnel from doing so much stenciling over the years).

On June 22, my second day with Lou, I got my own print station in his studio. He just happened to have an extra screen set up. The screen is massive, it’s about 3’ by 4’, enough to put multiple stencils on it at the same time. The station is also equipped with a drying rack in arms reach and all the cleaning solutions and towels right at my feet. Lou is very particular in how he works, he is very clean and efficient and makes sure I do the same.

When Lou said I was ready to print I came in with ideas and sketches. I, of course, chose a whale for my first print. I applied his technique of painting out areas as I print to create value and tone (as seen in his flower prints). Over two days I printed 20 editions with 6 layers/colors.

1 comment:

  1. Rebecca, this sounds like you are doing some great things with your internship. Lou is so full of knowledge that I think you will come back at the end of the summer knowing more about screen printing than any of us. Like I asked Amanda, it would be great if you could upload some pictures of Lou's studio and what you are working on.

    Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete